Sunday, May 16, 2010

What Do You Do When Everything Is Just Too Much?

Fibrotastic friends - what do you do when every sound is excruciatingly loud and painful, when every smell is so strong that it makes your head pound, when sunglasses aren't enough to stop the pain of too much light in your eyes, and when the lightest touch on the arm from your loved ones causes you to wince with pain? What are your coping mechanisms? My children and family members know that they need to be careful how and where they touch me. Children have a tendency to poke your shoulders or upper arms to get your attention - something that can bring me to tears on some days. I have to remind my children with great frequency. But outside of my family, I don't mention it. In work and social settings, people hug or pat you on the back or touch your arm or hand -- and it hurts. I never say anything - I am embarrassed I guess... or don't want to have to explain. How about you? How do you cope with the sensory 'too much-ness' of everyday life - and the painful normal social contact ? I would love to know :)

2 comments:

  1. I too have to remind family with great frequency and just "take it" from outsiders. If I do occasionally say something, then have to explain myself, I get looks like I am psycho or speaking in an alien language. I feel like I have lost my credibility with the world. I too would like to hear about coping strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of trying an experiment.. as people approach me, to give me a big bear hug, to just say something like, oh, i love a nice gentle hug... or something like that, before they squeeze too hard. As for all the people slamming into me on the street, I may have to get a suit of armor for that one.

    ReplyDelete

Sleeeeeep