Sunday, May 16, 2010

Resources for the Fibrotastic and Those Who Love Them

Over the coming days I will be adding some resource links that I hope you will find useful. Two of my personal favorites are already posted. The first is the Fibromyalgia Network. This is a member supported organization. The membership fee is low - and it allows the Network to function without sponsorship from advertisers (ie - pharmaceutical companies).
They send out a journal several times a year, which includes a list of currently prescribed medications being used for fibro patients, what they are used for, their benefits, common side effects - and listed in order of efficacy as reported by the membership who is using them. They will also send you a list of meetup support groups in your area, as well as member recommended physicians. I have found them to be a great source of information and am quite glad that I became a member.

I have also included a link to a multimedia interactive Continuing Medical Education program for physicians on Fibromyalgia. It has a lot of important information for the physician on diagnosing the disease, but also lots of great explanation of what is now known about this neurological disease of the central nervous system, which for the last 100 years had been thought to be a rheumatological disorder like arthritis. I hope that you will find these links a good starting place. I hope my fibro fatigue and fibro fog levels will allow me to post some other interesting links for you in short order :).

2 comments:

  1. I saw your link on the Let's Combat Pain Network. I've also been to the Fibromyalgia Network site.
    That site mentions dietary considerations which are very true but unfortunately very understated and doesn't go into very much depth.
    I would recommend reading Dr. Ray Strand's book, "What your doctor doesn't know about nutritional medicine may be killing you".
    He's an M.D. that almost lost his wife to this illness and was able to turn this around not only for his wife, but also for many of his other Fibro. patients. He's one of the few M.D.'s that straddles the pharmaceutical-nutraceutical boundary.
    Regards,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Brian. I am going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete

Sleeeeeep