Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sick Humor

I really don't like to, but I must admit that it is not easy to get through days like the past few, (in full fibro-flaming-flare-up) with my sense of humor intact. I am very good at hiding my illness, on most days. Like most people with invisible illness, I do my best to appear normal. I use large reserves of strength to get out of bed and ready to face the day. Getting out of the bed after not sleeping all night (for the 5th year in a row) is a huge expenditure of energy, getting my legs to cooperate enough to walk to the bathroom is another. The story is the same for most of us - we must get up and eat, if we don't we can't take our medications without getting ill, if we don't take our medications on time our pain will be doubled or quadrupled for hours. Those of you who make this fantastic journey each day already know of what I speak. If you lose your sense of humor by 6:00am, your chances of making it through the day with any shred of your sanity left is pretty small. Not to mention the impact it has on family and friends.

I am ever thankful for people who make me laugh, like my sister, whose fibro is much more crippling than mine, and who I have spent countless hours laughing with via phone and email and text message. She and I can improv for hours on the life fibrotastic, and it is possible that if there is ever such a thing as a lay-down comic - my sister will be the star act.
I must also thank the many people who write and blog, who I have never met, who I do not know, but who share membership in this not so glamorous club. You remind us that we are not alone.
Of late, I have been enjoying a site called - ButYouDontlookSick.com - and which of us has not heard that a million times? ;] I always enjoy collecting 'sick humor' - and the top ten lists of what not to say to people with fibro or any other chronic, invisible illness, are among some of my favorite to collect. So if you find any you like or have any you would like to add, please send them my way. In the meantime, Here is a link to one I found posted on ButYouDontLookSick.com - I hope you enjoy it.
Wishing you gentle hugs and feel good days.
Sick Humor: The top ten worst suggestions commonly given to someone with a chronic illness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sleeeeeep